Monday, February 13, 2012

Make Out Party


Yes, that is Carnaval, one big make out party. The actual tradition for singles, and many taken folks alike, is to make out with numerous different people while partying at the famous street parties or blocos as Brazilians call them.

Of course that is not the heart of Carnaval. No, there is much more to it but can you really blame people for making out? If you haven't been just imagine the scene:

Half naked sweaty and slightly drunk people rotating and twisting their hips and gyrating their legs to the rhythm of samba. Of course that is if there is space enough to move as you are not following the music car and thus are not smooshed up so close to numerous people that you might as well be in the middle of a colorful orgy anyway. Can you really blame them? Hell, I'm getting a bit exciting just typing about it.

I will never forget my first Carnaval. I had just landed in Rio de Janeiro for the first time about 2 weeks before the actual holiday. That meant that there were already blocos happening. Actually, I was one of the first members of one of the bigger Laranjeiras blocos, and I know the founders. I am so Rio de Janeiro royalty (totally being sarcastic here although I do personally know one of the nominated muses of Rio's Carnaval blocos this year).

Anyway, when the official Carnaval started and we headed off to the blocos, Mr. Rant gave me one rule. That rule was to NOT turn around if someone tugged on my hair. Say what?!

It seems that it is one of the subtle make out signals at blocos. A tug at the hair, the girl turns, and a big old kiss she receives. Seems innocent enough. I will say that I was complimented by the number of tugs, and the persistence of some of them.

And while I didn't follow the rule of all goes per making out in Carnaval, I still had a damn good time.

How about you? Would you turn to the tug and take the kiss? Have you? And was your significant other making out with someone next to you? 

12 comments:

  1. Significant other making out with someone next to me???? Couldn't handle that!

    Don't these people worry about herpes and where and who the other person's mouth has just been on?? LOL I would have to be REALLY drunk to not consider these things..and if I were that drunk, I wouldn't be standing upright to kiss anyone anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha it already has started, blocos are insane! We were at the Carmelitas one the other day when a girl came up to my boyfriend and said something he didn´t understand (estalinho!), then grabbed him by the back of the head and kissed him on the lips. Then she proceeded to do the same with two other male friends and one female friend. I stood by and laughed my ass off. I´ve been pretty good at avoiding it so far, though to a certain extent I feel like it becomes much less of a big deal in the context of Carnaval...everybody wants to kiss everybody, it`s whatever, I just don´t really want anyone grabbing my ass (you know how they get super into it sometimes??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how many students I have (and have had) that were born in November? Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, as my husband says, during Carnaval, "So vai pra casa sozinho quem quer."

      Delete
  4. This is true, and it does appear that Carnaval, at least in Rio, marks a period of lowered rules or standards. Heck, a couple of times over the years some of our friends have even tried to lay this on me! HELLO! But honestly, the weeks, when my husband is travelling without break, away from home, I do start missing some attention and flash to those very handsome, young, beautiful guys, walking around with "free kiss" signs on their necks. Never done it...joking of course! But love that it could be an option, even it it just lives in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "appear that Carnaval, at least in Rio, marks a period of lowered rules or standards" Thought this is Rio's everyday standard? :-)

    When going out, kissing as much girls as possible is still important in the books of many Brazilian man (especially Carioca's). My only 'need' is to take a nice one home. Don't feel the necessity to put my tong in lots of peoples mouth.

    Most of the upper-class (and thus educated) Zona Sul crowd travels during carnival. It's the other part left who shows their standards to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a little harsh - the so-called 'educated' Zona Sul crowd is equally as bad, if not worse - as they have sense of self-entitlement and arrogance due to their social class.

      Delete
  6. Carnival isn't amusing and can often be quite annoying, let's just face it.
    As soon as the novelty of the street vibe wears off all you're left with is crappy music, and annoying drunks. The setting also sucks: ugly urban landscape and streets full of litter ( is it that hard to find some trash cans and place them in strategic places, this isn't rocket science people).
    A run-of-the-mill Festa Junina is sooo much better since they are usually organized by parishes, and provide at least basic sanitation. Plus they are held during dry season so the terrible sewage that plagues most Brazilian cities doesn't hinder the event as much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O Carnaval is the best party of the year! People are so happy and the weather is good, everyone is full of positive energy, excitement and is great to be alongside our friends celebrating life and drinking lots of beer, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Plug
    I once enjoyed Carnival, although even back then I noticed how much better the thing could be. Anyway, with time, the novelty fades aways and as this happens the negative aspects become even more visible.
    Regardless, I wish you a happy and safe Carnival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thanks Gritty, I also wish you a happy and safe Carnaval. and I also love the festa junina, but here in the northeast, it is basically the same as Carnaval, many bands and people partying in the streets. =)

      Delete
  9. Is the conquest of kissing and sex still the same with festa junina as with Carnival? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete

/>